The Archbishop’s Scholarship for Leadership in Catholic Education has been set up to foster the pursuit of Catholic higher education for educators within our CISVA schools. The Archbishop’s Scholarship will reimburse successful applicants their tuition fees upon completion of each of three designated Catholic Core courses: Foundations of Theology (THEO 501), Christian Morality (THEO 530), and Introduction to Scripture (SCRI 505), known as the Catholic Core. Please see flyer for more information.
Working in partnership with St. Mark’s College, the Archdiocese, and CISVA have organized the following Catholic Core courses that are eligible for the Archbishop’s Scholarship. These courses include:
|Course||Details ^||Course Dates||Archbishop’s Scholarship*||Application Deadline|
THEO 501: Foundations of Theology
Instructor: Dr. Nicholas Olkovich
|Further information||Jan. 10-11
SCRI 505: Introduction to Scripture
Instructor: Fr. Nicholas Meisl
|Further information||Apr. 17-18
THEO 501: Foundations of Theology
Instructor: Dr. Nick Olkovich
|Further information||Classes at St. Mark’s
Half day workshop
|Sat. July 11, 2020
9am – noon
Professional Development: Half day workshop – Saturday, July 11, 2020 – 9am – noon
Dr. Doris Kieser – The Fundamentals of Moral Decision-Making: Teaching Controversial Topics in the Classroom
In this morning session, we will explore how we make moral decisions in the context of the Catholic tradition. Some aspects of decision-making include the four sources for moral theological reflection (Scripture, Tradition, Reason, and Experience), the development of a mature and well-informed conscience, and the aspects of judging moral action. We will also consider some cases of controversial moral topics that might arise in the classroom, for example, Catholic anthropology and human sexuality, sexual development, or end-of-life decision-making. The sessions are planned as an introduction to moral theological reflection and are therefore suitable for all who are curious and interested.
^ The regular St. Mark’s College application has been simplified for CISVA applicants. Please register under “Catholic Core” as this will allow you to register for the eligible courses.
* The Archbishop‘s Scholarship covers the tuition fee for the course only and does not include any fees charged by either St. Mark’s College or the University of British Columbia. It is also a taxable benefit.
- Open to all TRB-certified teachers from CISVA and Congregational schools within the Archdiocese of Vancouver.
- The scholarship is also open to Education Assistants, Vice-Principals, and Principals.
- If an applicant already has a master’s degree, or if an applicant does not have an undergraduate degree, it is possible to audit the course.
- Successful applicants will have demonstrated leadership experience or show promise in the areas of religious education, faith development, campus ministry, or working as department heads, vice-principals and principals.
- The Archbishop’s Scholarship applies only to designated courses Catholic Core courses offered through St. Mark’s College at the University of British Columbia. It provides for full tuition reimbursement for these courses upon successful completion (defined as attaining a course grade of 70% or better). Scholarships are available for up to 3 courses.
- Applicants must be employed by a Catholic school within the Archdiocese of Vancouver and be under contract at the time of course engagement.
- Preference will be given to teachers on a continuing/grandfather contract but short-term contract holders are eligible to apply.