Canada Life is monitoring the outbreak and working with the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association (CLHIA) and the affected claims areas in our organization to ensure we’re supporting our customers. This includes how Canada Life handle out-of-country emergency, travel, or disability claims related to the outbreak.
- Members affected by the novel coronavirus can continue to expect their claims to be handled on a case-by-case basis based on their plan coverage. Out-of-country medical emergency, travel assistance, and disability coverage are probably what your members are most concerned about. Claims related to the novel coronavirus that occurred during travel to a country with travel advisory warnings will be treated and assessed like any other claim.
- Based on discussions with the CLHIA, Canada Life will be waiving the waiting period for STD benefits related to the novel coronavirus and will consider claims for individuals who are under quarantine that has been directed by a physician/treatment provider or other public health official and are unable to work from home.
There is a special form that will need to be completed if a plan member is going to apply for STD due to COVID-19.
For the most up-to-date information on the outbreak, visit the Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Canada Life Group Pension COVID Groupline
- Canada Life Group Benefits COVID Newsline
- Canada Life Group Travel Medical Assistance Contacts
- Corona Virus Handout (source: Canada.ca/coronavirus)
Public Health: Canada Public Health
EI Services: Employment Insurance
Travel Notice: Travel Notice from the Canadian Government