According to the BC Centre for Disease Control, “A new coronavirus is the cause of an outbreak of respiratory infections, now known as COVID-19. The number of cases worldwide is changing quickly. B.C. has confirmed cases of coronavirus; however the risk to Canadians continues to be low.” We are continually monitoring the situation related to the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) and closely following the federal and provincial health officers – their advice and perspective.
Stay updated with these helpful links:
2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) B.C. public health guidance for schools and childcare programs
Health Link BC
The BC Centre for Disease Control
World Health Organization
The BC Centre for Disease Control asks that:
“…people arriving in Canada from Hubei Province, China stay home and self-isolate for 14 days and monitor closely for symptoms of illness. If any symptoms arise, connect with a primary care provider, local public health office or call 8-1-1.
Canada has active COVID-19 travel advisories for:
- Hong Kong
- South Korea
British Columbians should monitor their health while they are travelling and after they return. If you have any symptoms at all of a cold or influenza, even if they’re mild, stay away from others. If you have been to areas, particularly where we know there has been transmission of COVID-19, then call your health care provider, call 8-1-1, call public health. Always tell health care providers about recent travel if you become ill after returning to Canada.”
What should we do
According to the Provincial Health Officer, these are the recommended actions for British Columbians:
- Cleaning your hands regularly
- Avoiding touching your face,
- Coughing or sneezing into your elbow sleeve
- Disposing of tissues appropriately
- Staying home and away from others if you are sick.Anyone who is concerned they may have been exposed to, or are experiencing symptoms of, COVID-19 should contact their primary care provider, local public health office, or call 811. Translation services for 811 is available in 130 plus languages.